Thursday 28 March 2013

Self Control App

It's that time of year again when exams are just around the corner.  The last time I checked I had 8 weeks til my exam, but suddenly it's just over 5 - PANIC!!!  As you might know by now, I am resitting 2 classes from uni last year, which means I'm not allowed to go back to the classes so I just have to learn it all myself.  I had one exam in January which I passed (yay!) and my next one is on 7th of May, but I haven't exactly done much studying for it yet...


Someone on twitter mentioned the SelfControl app and gave a link to it so I had a wee look.  Basically it just stops you being able to get on certain website so helps avoid procrastination - it's actually such a good idea!  You download it from the website and then set your 'blacklist' which is websites that you don't want to be able to access.  I have Twitter, Facebook, Blogger, Tumblr and Lovefilm on mine.  Then you set the timer for how long you want these websites blocked for, click start, a little timer then pops up and counts down until the time is up.

It's so handy!  I've been using it while reading pdf notes as it was so easy to be distracted by twitter especially.  I set it for 30mins at a time as I think any longer and I would lose concentration - I quite often have a look online for a few minutes then start it again.

The only downside is that it is only available for Macs but if you go into FAQs they give other similar programs which work for Windows.

Click here for the website.

<3

4 comments:

  1. Im quite good at avoiding the internet on my mac- my real downfall is my phone which I am constantly picking up to look at twitter etc! If they did something similar for iphone then it would solve all my problems! Good luck with your exams- hope all goes well :)
    Poppy | far away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I know me too, I did look for one but there doesn't seem to be one :( thanks!!

      Delete
  2. I'm awful for procrastinating when I'm studying - I check my emails, twitter, facebook etc literally every few minutes! I've been trying to study without my laptop & just printing off anything I need and I get so much more done. If I had a Mac I'd definitely get this though! Hope your exams go well :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah yeah it's a nightmare!! Thank you :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments, they are much appreciated! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...